The Big Burn
The Big Burn, which hit stores last week, is Timothy Egan’s eagerly anticipated follow up to his 2006 National Book Award winner The Worst Hard Time. In The Big Burn, Egan narrates the struggles of the overmatched rangers against the implacable fire of 1910–the largest forest fire in the nation’s history–with unstoppable dramatic force, through the eyes of the people who lived it. Egan then expands the focus to tell the larger story of outsized president Teddy Roosevelt and his chief forester Gifford Pinchot.
Egan is getting ready to hit the road in support of The Big Burn. Below are the confirmed tour dates:
- Monday 10/19 @ 7:00 PM at Elliott Bay Book Company (Seattle, WA)
- Tuesday 10/20 @ 7:30 PM at Powell’s City of Books (Portland, OR)
- Wednesday 10/21 @ 7:30 PM at Annie Bloom’s Books (Portland, OR)
- Thursday 10/22 at Books Inc @ 7:00 PM (San Francisco, CA)
- Friday 10/23 @ 7:00 PM at Rakestraw Books (Danville, CA)
- Thursday 10/29 @ 7:30 PM at Tattered Cover Book Store (Denver, CO)
- Friday 10/30 @ 7:00 PM at Vroman’s Bookstore (Pasadena, CA)
- Monday 11/2 @ 7:00 PM at Politics & Prose Bookstore (Washington, DC)
- Tuesday 11/3 @ 7:00 PM at Borders – Park Ave (New York, NY)
- Wednesday 11/4 @ 7:00 PM at St. Louis Public Library (St Louis, MO)
- Thursday 11/5 @ 7:00 PM at Borders – Oak Brook (Oak Brook, IL)
- Friday 11/6 @ 7:00 PM at Borders – Birmingham (Birmingham, MI)
- Tuesday 11/10 @ 7:30 PM at Barnes & Noble – University Village (Seattle, WA)
- Saturday 11/14 @ 10:30 AM at the 18th Annual Abilities United Authors Luncheon, Cabana Hotel & Resort (Palo Alto, CA)
- Wednesday 11/18 @ 7:00 PM at Fact and Fiction (Missoula, MT)
- Sunday 11/22 @ 3:00 PM at Eagle Harbor Book CO (Bainbridge Island, WA)
In addition to the book tour, Egan has made a handful of “appearances” online:
- At Borders.com you’ll find an original essay on The Big Burn and a list of Egan’s Top 5 History books
- “The Ghosts of 1910” essay, Q & A session and sample photographs at Amazon.com.
- Video of Egan reading the opening of The Big Burn (as part of an interview with Nick O’Connell, editor of The Writer’s Workshop Review).
- The Denver Public Library Friends Foundation presented Egan with the 2009 Evil Companions Literary Award, which is awarded annually to a poet or writer who embodies the spirit of the West.
- Egan’s New York Times blog